General Descriptionfull-time position in Neurology; 40 hours per week; Monday - Friday
Coordinate day to day administrative activities for one or more physicians to ensure a smoothly functioning office; interpret operating policies; exercise independent judgment in the resolution of administrative problems, prioritizing of workload, facilitating travel arrangements and expense reconciliation, purchasing supplies, coordinates special projects or programs, such as seminars, courses, donation centers, training programs, etc. Serve as a resource in a team environment. Provide secretarial support to faculty including appointments, transcription of medical records, correspondence, manuscripts, grant proposals and filing. Understand HIPAA and departmental specific policies relating to medical records policies in regards to discussion, faxing and handling of patient medical records. Customer service representative duties call for reports, slides, interface with technologists, clinicians, outside institutions. JHU/SOM Clinical Operations (CO).
Participate in the preparation of the medical records or research documentation, budget, administrative, and regulatory documents for patient records, grant proposals, clinical or research protocols, and/or contractual agreements. Monitor spending and reconcile budgets monthly in order to control expenses. Responsible for answering the telephone and various functions involved with returning materials received for consultation. Assist with grant preparation, including NIH grant applications or other funding grants. Interact with technologists, physicians, assistants/residents, patients, administrative assistants, couriers, medical records/surgical residents and only occasionally patients. Help coordinate and document management, narrative and statistical reports for private and government agencies as necessary. Order office and lab supplies and equipment. Prepare and distribute agendas, meeting minutes and reminders for meetings. Attend, tape record and transcribe minutes of those meetings. Compose agendas, documents, correspondence, and memos on behalf of the faculty. Transcribe and/or type manuscripts, technical documents, tables, graphs/charts, correspondence and notes, formatting and compiling information for grants, protocols, presentations, reports, manuscripts, etc. Provide support for faculty's activities with national societies, research projects, and scholarly publications and presentations, serving as a liaison between department and vendors, other departments, and outside organizations. Reference Management. Serve as coordinator for faculty travel and faculty-sponsored events. Manage scheduling/calendars. Greet and assist all visitors. Perform ad hoc research and fact-finding on a wide variety of administrative issues and items; know the formal and informal Institute goals, standards, policies and procedures. Create, maintain, and analyze electronic and paper record keeping systems including retrieval, retention, storage, compilation, updating, and destruction of files; create new systems or revise established procedures as needed. Maintain equipment and service contracts including computers, office equipment. Organize and maintain paper and electronic file and move toward creating a paperless office. Analyze office-operating practices such as record keeping systems, forms control, personnel requirements, recommending new systems or revising established procedures. Interpret and communicate operating policies. Locate and compile information and format reports, graphs, tables, records and other sources of information. Assemble and categorize facts and figures for written computation and calculations. Assist with special events planning. Operate personal computer to access email, electronic calendars, and other basic office support software. SAP transactions include ordering of supplies (Shopping Cart). Use various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and/or reports. Utilize Internet to search for information, contacts for research, and clinical consultation, international contacts for teaching and travel.
SPECIFIC DUTIES for Physician:
- Maintaining files on all IOM / cEEG issues as directed by Physician
- Maintaining files on all IOM personnel as directed by Physician
- Assisting with maintenance and distribution of policies as directed by Physician
- Assisting rotators (residents, fellows, outside / international visitors) in orienting to the IOM department and addressing their needs (ID, lab code, access to the office, sterilization classes)
- Typing and sending correspondence (e.g. references for rotators, interactions with vendors for samples that the Physician evaluates)
- Organizing conferences / conference meals
- Analysis of IOM case volume (requires Excel skills) and maintaining IOM statistics
- Assisting with maintenance of IRB protocol for IOM (JHH)
- Assistance with maintenance of IRB protocol for cEEG (multicenter study)
SPECIFIC DUTIES TO SUPPORT IOM:
- Scheduling for ortho neuro vascular ENT and interventional radiology both JHH and BV (requires access to OR scheduling)
- Billing reconciliation
- Preparation of case statistics on all cases
- Get insurance information from secretaries and Epic (requires access to Epic, as well as, excellent communication skills with the secretaries / MOCs for all of our surgeons)
- Scanning OR schedule for missed cases (requires access to OR schedule)
- Ordering of all equipment of electrodes (requires access to hospital purchasing, different vendors)
- Bill payment for NMT (accounts payable, hospital accounts)
- Reimbursing techs for travel (accounts payable, hospital accounts)
- Maintain and update JHU physician IOM schedule.
- Assist in finding switches for IOM coverage (physicians).
- Order supplies for JHU docs (requires access to University accounts).
- Reimburse from IOM clinical accounts for internet / travel (requires access to University accounts).
- Assess clinic notes of patient to determine diagnosis / diagnosis codes (requires access to Epic and some understanding of operative procedures)
Perform other duties as required.